My quest to make tasty left overs continues. I know turkey curry is not very original and I bet many of you will be making the obligatory turkey curry over the next few days.
After reading a few of my Christmas presents, yes I got 4 cook/baking books this year, I was inspired by a lamb and squash curry recipe I read in one of them. This is my version of it, with left over roast turkey.
The flavours are not over powering and blend really nicely together. You can really taste the turkey. One friend of mine said we ought to cook with turkey more throughout the year and after making this curry I agree with them. It’s a low in fat meat, and if cooked right is really tasty.
Serves 4 people, 1 hr to cook and 15 minutes to prepare.
1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
1/2 teaspoon coriander seeds
3 teaspoons ground ginger
2 teaspoons mild curry powder
2 cloves garlic
1 medium onion, chopped
1/3 butternut squash, chopped
3 tablespoons green tomato chutney (or any chutney you might have in the store cupboard)
1 leftover turkey breast, cubed into large pieces and the skin removed
1 left over turkey thigh, cubed into large pieces and the skin removed
1/2 – 1 litre cold water
1 tablespoon olive oil
Salt and pepper
1. In a pestle and mortar ground the coriander and cumin seeds. Then marinade the turkey in the spices for about 20 minutes.
2. In a large frying pan heat the oil and then add the onions and garlic to the pan and cook until they start to soften. Then add the ginger, curry powder, salt and pepper and cook for 2 minutes.
3. Add the turkey to the onions and spices and cook for about 3/4 minutes. Stir regularly, add the chutney and cook for another 2 minutes.
4. Add enough cold water to cover the turkey in the pan, add the butternut squash and bring to the boil. Then turn down to a gentle simmer and leave to cook, uncovered. Check regularly, but leave to cook for 45 minutes. Most of the liquid will of evaporated. If you like more sauce you can cook for 30 minutes.
5. Serve with basmati rice and fresh coriander and plain yoghurt. Or if you have any left over roast potatoes and parsnips, why don’t you chop them up and saute them in a some vegetable oli. This makes a nice alternative to rice.
Enjoy and happy cooking.