As much as I love to cook, there are some nights when I get in from work and I want to eat something that is quick and easy, but is filling and healthy. The dilemma that I often face is how lazy can I be and get away with it?
Cooking for me is a stress reliever. But cooking some week nights is not something that I want to face. I often find that once I get into the kitchen my hard day at work fades away and I am in my own creative bubble.
This recipe is one that was made up as I went along. It is quick and simple to make and is full of tasty veg.
Frittata does not involve a lot of effort, but perhaps requires a little imagination. My version contains a lot of tasty and filling veg with some salty Spanish Serano ham. I surprised myself as to how quick and easy this was to make.
My recipe below serves 2 as a main meal or 3/4 people as a light lunch served with a crisp salad.
Feel free to change any of the ingredients according to taste and what you have in your fridge. You could swap the Spanish ham for bacon, pancetta or cooked ham.
5 large eggs – whisked
1/3 large white onion
1/3 large red pepper
3 stalks of purple spouting broccoli – heads and leaves
5 medium sized mushrooms
1/2 potato, diced and boiled until just cooked
5 slices of Serrano ham
salt and pepper to taste
Pinch of dried chilli flakes
Olive oil for cooking
1. In a small saucepan boil some water and add the potato. Cook until just soft.
2. Meanwhile, heat a medium sized non-stick frying pan with some olive oil. Gently fry the the onion, pepper and purple sprouting broccoli heads for 2 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook for another 2 minutes and then add the broccoli leaves and chilli flakes, cook for 2 minutes. If the pan looks dry, either add some of the water from the potatoes or some fresh water to keep the vegetables moist.
3. The potato should be cooked. Drain and add to vegetables and cook for two minutes and season to taste.
4. Tear the Serrano ham into bite sized pieces and add to the frying pan and stir. If you are using bacon or pancetta cook for 2 minutes or until cooked through. You could always cook the meat at the beginning and then add the vegetables. At this point turn on your grill to get it hot. You will need a grill to cook the top of the frittata.
5. Add the whisked eggs and make sure the eggs are evenly distributed over the vegetables. On a medium to low heat cook the eggs, vegetables and ham. To check if the bottom of the frittata is cooked, gently lift the bottom with a spatula. If it looks slightly golden place the frying pan under a hot grill and cook until the egg mix is set. Remove from the under the grill.
6. Cut the cooked frittata into wedges and serve.
Happy gluten free cooking 🙂